Liisa S
Daydream Believer

Re: 24.6. & 26.6. & 28.6.2023 - Gothenburg, Sweden, Ullevi

Viesti Kirjoittaja Liisa S »

Liisa's Show Review:
Bruce Springsteen at Ullevi Stadium, Sweden, Saturday June 24th, 2023
or
Seven long years

First there were rumours, then there were more rumours and soon, there were also some hard facts and finally there were tickets to buy. No shows in Finland, what should I do? It is easiest to travel to Sweden and they get always good shows there and so Ullevi, here I come again! Oh, a third Ullevi show just appeared? Ok, better to take all three. That also helps me to decide not to travel to other destinations, as three shows in Gothenburg plus some queuing for the first show means that I'll be away for a week, and I really can't spare any more of my holiday for Mr Springsteen this year. Or actually not this year, but next year - the tickets were bought in spring 2022, and the shows will be in summer 2023, well over a year after the ticket sales date.

Quite a lot happened during that year, but Bruce is now really touring now and my holiday is getting closer. The show reports are not too promising, as they tell about a very static show with very little communication with the audience. A typical show on this tour is described more as a well rehearsed play than a normal live show. Was it a mistake for me to get three tickets instead of just one? But no matter how static it might be, I still want to see the show at least twice and if there is any variation in setlists, I guess it is kind of guaranteed that you get close to maximum variation, no matter if it is just two or three songs, when there are several shows in the same venue. Ullevi, you are my only hope!

Meeting my traveling buddies at the airport on Thursday morning makes me immediately move mentally back in time to earlier tours, to shared hotel rooms and long chats in pit lines. We share a taxi to reach the park next to Ullevi as quickly as possible to get numbers for the Saturday show. Hey look, my number really as low as 109, how cool is this? So, our strategy will naturally be that we try to find spots close to or even at front rail. Let's check into hotel and then come back here for next roll call.

Roll calls are held on the grassy roof of Bergakungen (Mountain King) movie theater, and at the next call we already meet several other Finns we know. Is it really seven long years since we last met on tour? We continue from just where left then, as nothing has changed. Aren't we all still thirtysomething, except Salla, who will always be 18, although our hair is turning grey, our kids are adult (oh, you were the one on your dad's shoulders in 2012?) and there has been marriages, divorces and other turning points in our lives? Here were tramps like us are in our own little happy bubble on a tour, which might be our very last time to meet like this.

Numbers for this line are drawn in red, not exactly permanent ink, and so by next day we have red ink all over our towels, pillows, clothes and even faces but hey, this is okay too, this kind of is a normal part of this routine. This Friday is spent by looking at the city, eating, meeting friends and going to regular roll calls, which are held only twice today. There are nowadays no roll calls too late at night or too early in the morning, and it suits us. Although as we are still young, we could easily stay awake for perhaps even until eleven, if we really concentrate! It is Midsummer's Eve, a big day in Sweden and the city is very quiet, as everybody is at their summer cottages.

And then it is Saturday, the day of the first show. After roll call at 10 we can still go back to our hotels, airbnb's and tents, but at 12:30 we have to stay here in the park. Soon after the roll call is done, all us about 600 with red numbers walk in line to Ullevi, where we are first lined outside a safety fence, and later we move inside some fenced cages. At some point we get silver wristbands. Isn't that soundcheck just taped music... oh wait, it is live, they are in there! We get parts of LOHAD, Better Days, Lucky Town and also Racing! Yeah, this sounds GOOD! Gates open at 5 PM, tickets are checked and we march into the pit. Look, there is an empty area on the front rail far left from the main stage, on Nils' side, just at the short second catwalk, isn't that clearly our place for tonight?

We sit quickly down. First few rows behind us fill quickly, but then there is a more quiet time and we can go fill our water bottles and use the toilet. It is quite hot and sunny day, and so everyone is luckily allowed to take one half liter empty bottle with them, we just can't have caps on the bottles. Sun still scorches folks sitting close to us, but we are already in shadows, and sun will go behind the stage before show time. Huh, pit rush already at 18:24? We still sit for a while until we also stand and take our final places at the rail. Fence is wide but stage isn't, and so we are surprisingly far from the high main stage. Monitor equipment tents will hide horn section and Charlie Giordano from us, but we can see the front line nicely. But we have the fence anyway to lean on, and that is nice.

People in the pit start shouting and clapping well before the show time, but most of the audience do not seem to be too interested in it this time. It is now 8 o'clock, now few minutes over, and then still few more minutes and NOW, there is Professor Roy Bittan himself on the stage greeting cheering audience, and then one by all the others arrive too. Oh, how I have missed that counting, which leads us into The Ties That Bind, and the show is on! Then straight to No Surrender, and wait, what is this song? Oh, it is Ghosts from the new album, Letter to You (2020).

Oh, look at them now! The guys on the stage have also turned greyer than they used to be and there might be some more wrinkles on their faces, but they are still here, and they still know how to play. Bruce's voice isn't in best possible shape, it is somewhat hoarse, but he still goes along with the planned setlist. I have on purpose avoided trying to learn the setlist before this show, so that I can take all of these more or less as surprise choices. Like many others have told, the show feels rather static, and there is nearly no interaction between Bruce and the audience - but hey, it is still Bruce and the mighty E Street Band!

The show goes on mixing the biggest hits with some songs from his newest own album. Out in the Street is still among my favourite songs, because one part of that is kind of my story. Steve wasn't ready to handle the solo in Lucky Town, as that isn't a part of the normal routine of this tour. Extra long Kitty's Back introduces us the wonderful E Street Horns. There is also one song, lovely Nightshift, from the soul covers album (2022). In that Bruce and one of his E Street Singers Curtis King share vocals and also some dance moves while walking down the stairs and going to the middle catwalk. My Hometown leads into The River, which is mainly just Bruce and Steven on stage.

Only now Bruce talks us longer and tells us a story about his friend and his first band leader George Theiss, who passed away few years ago, and this well rehearsed story underlines the idea of this tour: This is a story of the times gone and a way to remember those who have gone before us. After Theiss passed away few years ago, Bruce is the last man standing from Castiles, which was active in 1960's and where Bruce learned how to be in a band and how to do a show. Last Man Standing is done solo, and it is followed by Backstreets, a story of deep friendship, which was then lost. Yes, this show is a kind of act, which tells a story about death and loss while at the same time it is still celebrating Bruce's long career and his music catalogue. This really starts sounding more and more like a farewell tour to me.

But hey, Because the Night with Nils' solo! And She's the One with its Bo Diddley comp and we are clapping our hands! Bruce does nearly all guitar solos tonight and man, that guy can still really play his Telecaster! But after finally getting the idea of this show, it is easy figure out why most of these songs have been selected. The Rising with its lonely fireman is kind of about death, and Land of Hope and Dreams is also kind of about death. A family next to us is really crying now, and they look like have likely lost someone close to them recently. Thunder Road ends the main set.

Encore break isn't that long, and we go now through several fast songs, which are among his biggest hits. I don't mind, as I also want to hear all of these at least once, and look at how Bruce and Steve are fooling around in Glory Days! Then we are already at band introduction (which hasn't yet turned into naturally flowing list although it is so many years after Big Man passed away), and then they launch into 10th Avenue. Audience can take part here while Bruce walks along the front fence, slaps some hands and presents few guitar pics to audience members here and there. A young woman next to me gets one, and she is so happy about it!

Band bows, and then they leave the stage one by one while audience is cheering. I start to gather my stuff, but oh, Bruce is returning to stage again, and this time he is alone and has just his old acoustic Takamine guitar with a split top with him. We will get one more song, and it is I'll See You in My Dreams before this 3-hour show is finally over. No happy "See you again!" type shouts, but just this song. So, this is really the farewell. We will see each others only in our dreams after this. Luckily Bruce really visits my dreams every now and then, mainly in dreams about weird problems when purchasing tickets or about tickets I forgot at home (along with my clothes and other stuff, which I normally also have lost or forgotten to take with me), but I would still want to see him with my own eyes every now and then too instead of just in my dreams! How sad thought, now I really need a tissue. But we have another show in two days, and I will be seeing him again on Monday and then also on Wednesday!

Setlist

01. The Ties That Bind
02. No Surrender
03. Ghosts
04. Prove It All Night
05. Letter to You
06. The Promised Land
07. Out in the Street
08. Lucky Town
09. Kitty's Back
10. Nightshift (Commodores cover)
11. Mary's Place
12. My Hometown
13. The River
14. Last Man Standing
15. Backstreets
16. Because the Night
17. She's the One
18. Wrecking Ball
19. The Rising
20. Badlands
21. Land of Hope and Dreams
22. Thunder Road
--
23. Born in the U.S.A.
24. Born to Run
25. Bobby Jean
26. Glory Days
27. Dancing in the Dark
28. Tenth Avenue Freeze-out
29. I'll See You in My Dreams (solo)

about 3hrs 9mins
Liisa S
Daydream Believer

Liisa's Show Review:
Bruce Springsteen at Ullevi Stadium, Sweden, Monday June 26th, 2023
or
Raindrops keep falling on my head

We took our time to leave the pit after the first Ullevi show, as we wanted to meet some friends of ours now, and also because we three decided, that we do not go and get numbers for the 2nd show. We decided to aim to the back fence this time, and you can normally guarantee a good place there for yourself if you are present little before the gates are opened, and so you can avoid most of the queuing in the cages. You might be even able to have lunch, and use a real toilet.

But it doesn't matter that we are now on a "holiday", we still go to most of the roll calls just to hang around with people and discuss the show we saw yesterday. Kind of stiff, wasn't it? Kind of too well scripted, with very little room for improvising or even having fun - but still they had fun, and I had fun. Those who have already seen several shows on this tour are thinking if Bruce might have been drunk but no-o, it just looked like genuine fun to me.

What will happen tomorrow? A much stiffer show or perhaps a looser show? What about Bruce's voice, which was far from perfect yesterday, but got better during the show? And how much and when it will rain tomorrow? We also try to guess the opening song and if there will be changes in the setlist. Or well, there WILL be changes, but how many? But that's only tomorrow, and today we will eat well, go visit a museum and just walk around the city. Also, now we have time to buy some rain gear, although most places had sold all out, and I get new shoes from a sale as I had only one pair with me, and they will get wet tomorrow.

Monday morning shows us a busier Gothenburg, as it is a normal workday and local folks have returned from their Midsummer parties at countryside. We again visit roll call site and we can see that several new friends have also arrived to this city. We discuss our queuing plans for today with them, watch the numbered line marching to the stadium and get caged. We have still time to have lunch and go back to hotel to figure out what to wear today, and return to the stadium at about an hour before gates are opened. Rain starts soon, and those poor ones without rain gear either hide under the overhanging side of Ullevi, or just get wet and look miserable. Today we are given pink wristbands, and reading the tickets as we enter doesn't work too well as their equipment doesn't seem to like to get wet, and paper tickets just melt away before they can be read.

Let's see how it looks inside Ullevi... puddles of water here and there, but not on the floor in the back of the pit, and most of the back fence is still free. We make a group of seven there, and slowly more Finns also arrive there. Some choose to stay with us, some try to find places closer to stage. No sitting tonight, as the ground is so damp, although the forecasted thunderstorm passes us and rain soon turns into a mere drizzle and then stops well before show time. We lean to the back rail, watch the pit and the stands filling slowly. Unlike during the earlier show, now the audience is very awake before show time and there are waves and those familiar Swedish shouts from one side to another. Tallest man in the pit naturally appears, stands some time in front of us but luckily disappears before show starts. Finally technicians start removing covers on the stage and preparing equipment for the show, which will start nearly half an hour late tonight. There is no pit rush today, as everybody had to stand since entering the pit.

And there they are arriving on the stage, Roy first like on Saturday! And opening song is different from yesterday, it is My Love Will Not Let You Down, nice! It is followed by a strong Death to My Hometown before the setlist lands on the more expected tracks. Sound is excellent back here too, like it was on Saturday on the outmost side of the front fence. Bruce and the band look happier and looser today. As we can now see all of the stage easily, we can concentrate on Bruce's long guitar solos, see how the horns make their own moves during songs and how the front of pit is active and sings along, although we do not hear that properly here.

Like it was more or less expected, Roy starts now to play his grand piano, and this really is the intro of Racing! Audience shouts and applauds, naturally. We follow the story of this guy who is devoted to his Chevrolet and car racing, something his girlfriend doesn't seem to fully approve. The song ends with this magnificent piano part, but the band is not fully in time with each others here, and it ends up in a kind of duel between Max's drums and Roy's piano before they finally find the same rhythm. Interesting, but anyway an excellent version! How happy we all are now after hearing this!

Then we are back to normal setlist, where few songs are now left out. In the end of the encore me and two of my friends do something I have never done before, we decide to skip the last song, I’ll See You in My Dreams, and leave the stadium immediately after 10th Avenue ends, and sprint in our wet shoes to get numbers for the third show. We naturally listen carefully what is happening inside Ullevi while we ran, and luckily there really is only that one song left and no surprises. We find the guys who keep the number list quite easily, and although we had already seen quite many people leaving the pit during encores, most of them had likely just went home as we get numbers 237, 238 and 239 now! So, in Wednesday we are going to do the full queuing thing again and we are going to aim somewhere close to the front rail. But now, back to hotel and let's try to get our wet clothes dry!

Setlist

01. My Love Will Not Let You Down
02. Death to My Hometown
03. No Surrender
04. Ghosts
05. Prove It All Night
06. Letter to You
07. The Promised Land
08. Out in the Street
09. Kitty's Back
10. Nightshift (Commodores cover)
11. Mary's Place
12. Racing in the Street (tour premiere)
13. The River
14. Last Man Standing
15. Backstreets
16. Because the Night
17. She's the One
18. Wrecking Ball
19. The Rising
20. Badlands
--
21. Born in the U.S.A.
22. Born to Run
23. Bobby Jean
24. Glory Days
25. Dancing in the Dark
26. Tenth Avenue Freeze-out
27. I’ll See You in My Dreams (solo)

about 2hrs 55mins
Liisa S
Daydream Believer

Liisa's Show Review:
Bruce Springsteen at Ullevi Stadium, Sweden, Wednesday June 28th, 2023
or
Is this the last goodbye?

Tuesday again means the familiar routine for us: Doing the roll calls, walking around, eating and meeting friends. We all are really happy about Racing, but we also agree that there could have been more changes in the setlist. Wednesday show will surely give us some new songs, likely Better Days (which is now sound checked twice) and perhaps Candy's Room, as it has been played on several earlier shows. And as this is Gothenburg, he has to play the Stadion Breaker, doesn't he? He can't do a three show stand on just the stadium he already broke once without performing Twist and Shout here, can't he?

We change also hotels today like many others, as our original reservation was for two shows and 5 nights, but then the third show was added and most hotels were already fully booked, like they are always when there is a big show in this small city. Luckily our hotel for the next two nights is also very close to Ullevi and still within a nice walking distance from the city center. Several of our friends are staying in quite distant hotels or camping areas, which have a public transport connection to Ullevi and city.

And now it is Wednesday, the day of what will quite likely be my last ever Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band show. It is sunny and quite warm again, no rain gear needed although some forecasts hint that there might be slight rain. We do the 10 o'clock roll call, get back to hotel for an hour or two, and then get back to roll call area in the park close to Ullevi getting ready for the next roll call and then to the march to stadium. This is now a familiar routine to us, today we have enough food, dry tarmac to sit on, there are friends close by and when you find the courage (as the queue can move at nearly any time), you can go to a porta potty too. Oh, something is happening now - haha, we get golden wristbands this time! And soon the gates will open!

We walk to the pit area (remember to walk, no running!) and go straight to Steve's side of pit to try to get to second or third line from fence behind some short enough people. But then everyone else seems to have the very same plan today, and we end up in about fourth line from front rail, but luckily none of the folks in front of us look that tall. We sit down immediately, like we have to do to save our legs and hold our spots, and leave just one by one to get drinking water and to use toilets. People are not that calm today, and we are afraid that pit rush might come early. We manage anyway to sit until 18:30, when there was a quick rush and we were shuffled into new places. Okay, everyone between me and stage are luckily shorter than me, but my friends are not that lucky and it takes some time while they try to crawl to slightly better positions.

Time passes, it is now quarter past eight and yes, now they are on! Oh oh, I know this intro, Night! Not one of my absolute favourites, but how I just love it tonight. Any change in the setlist tonight is good change, and it will make me so happy. No Surrender is always so nice to hear, Ghosts is getting better in my ears and I'm also ready to get Prove It any time they want to play it.

And oh oh, this is Darkness! Now we are really heading towards a good show, because the setlist changes can't end here - or at least I hope so. The Promised Land and all the hands are up in the air. Out in the Street, Stevie - "Oh, who, me?" answers Steven and manages to sing his line after some giggling. E Street Horns have entered the stage by now, and they are heavily needed during Kitty. Nightshift with Bruce and Curtis King, I really could listen to this every night!

Then Trapped. I can't believe my ears, and I didn't even dare to wish for this! Audience sings the ooh ye-ee-ee-eah parts with hands held high, how I love this. Another song I could listen to, and be part of every night. Trapped flows into next song, which turns out to be a rolling Johnny 99 with the train part, you know that wo-hoo! with right hand pulling the engine whistle. And oh, E Street Shuffle after this pair of songs! I am really, really happy now! Bruce and gang on the stage are clearly still looser than they were yesterday, this is nearly how it used to be on last tour, this is what we want to see!

Naturally we are back to the basic setlist after this, but I can take The River too every night, no problems! Last Man Standing is a sad song with that story Bruce tells, but it is followed by Backstreets, another magnificient song which should be played in every show. Wrecking Ball and The Rising make all hands move in the pit, and Badlands makes everyone sing.

Encore starts with the same songs as every night, but in Glory Days, in the part where Bruce and Steve make faces to camera, fool around and start asking what time is it, Bruce suddenly walks down the stairs to the middle catwalk, asks for a cardboard sign and shows it to the band and to the audience, and it says something like "It's time to break this stadium" - and that must mean that we get it today, YES! We get still DitD and 10th Ave, and during that song Bruce picks up another sign for Twist and Shout, and the band starts that song next. Garry and Steve share a mic, and people all around me sing and dance. Fun, fun, fun! Ullevi, you have really been good to me. Thank you.

Band leaves the stage, Bruce gets the old Takamine guitar from his guitar technician Kevin, and he starts again singing I’ll See You in My Dreams. Yes, this is likely the last time I see you on stage, Bruce, this must be the farewell. After it Bruce thanks the audience - and suddenly says "We'll be back". Just like that, just like on all the former tours. I can't believe my ears, did he really say that? I just stare at the now empty stage, which Bruce has just left. My friend grabs my hand as we have to hurry now to a meeting with all other Finns from This Hard Land forum (we are going to take a group pic in the back of the pit), and I follow her, but I really can't see anything now through these tears. They will be back.

Setlist

01. Night
02. No Surrender
03. Ghosts
04. Prove It All Night
05. Darkness on the Edge of Town
06. The Promised Land
07. Out in the Street
08. Kitty's Back
09. Nightshift (Commodores cover)
10. Trapped (Jimmy Cliff cover)
11. Johnny 99
12. The E Street Shuffle
13. The River
14. Last Man Standing
15. Backstreets
16. Because the Night
17. She's the One
18. Wrecking Ball
19. The Rising
20. Badlands
--
21. Born in the U.S.A.
22. Born to Run
23. Bobby Jean
24. Glory Days
25. Dancing in the Dark
26. Tenth Avenue Freeze-out
27. Twist and Shout (tour premiere, Medley/Berns cover)
28. I’ll See You in My Dreams (solo)

about 2hrs 59mins
jjvirta
Mr. Collector

Viesti Kirjoittaja jjvirta »

Kiitokset Liisalle taasen seikkaperäisistä raporteista.
Liisa S kirjoitti: 01.07.2023 20:08 I start to gather my stuff, but oh, Bruce is returning to stage again, and this time he is alone and has just his old acoustic Takamine guitar with a split top with him.
Tuollainen halkikantinen ja muutenkin kulunut Takamine on Last Man Standingin soitin, tässä I'll See You In My Dreams'issä on käytössä ainakin näkyviltä osiltaan ihan ehjä soitin.
"I believe in the love that you gave me
I believe in the faith that can save me
I believe in the hope and I pray that some day
it may raise me above these Badlands"
Liisa S
Daydream Believer

jjvirta kirjoitti: Tuollainen halkikantinen ja muutenkin kulunut Takamine on Last Man Standingin soitin, tässä I'll See You In My Dreams'issä on käytössä ainakin näkyviltä osiltaan ihan ehjä soitin.
No niinpä tietysti... Katselin vain sitä halkikantista ja mietin, että tuon olen nähnyt ennenkin, mutta se ei ollutkaan siis samalla kaikella aiemmin. Mutta hei, kitaran merkki meni sentään oikein!
Laura
Queen of the Supermarket

Viesti Kirjoittaja Laura »

Iso kiitos Liisalle raporteista!
Vaikea uskoa, että oman kiertueen viimeisestä keikasta on jo viikko... Kun keräilin itseäni kyynellammikosta Racingin ja Riverin jälkeen, olin jo valmis lähtemään kotiin enkä edelleenkään keksi, mitä muuta voisin enää toivoa. Mielenkiintoista kuitenkin seurata kotisohvalta, mitä vielä jäljellä olevilla keikoilla mahdollisesti tapahtuu...
Janey
Downbound Train

Viesti Kirjoittaja Janey »

Kiitos Liisalle raporteista ja samoin muillekin kokemuksiaan ja tuntojaan jakaneille!

Tässä oman naputteluni lopputulos:

Perjantai
Juhannusaattona matkasimme pelipaikalle yhdessä useiden tuttujen kanssa. 5-henkinen THL-seurueemme suuntasi alkuiltapäivästä tietenkin suoraan numeroiden hakuun. Omaksi numerokseni kirjattiin 255. Seuraavaksi ohjelmassa oli matkatavaroiden jättäminen majapaikkaan, ruokailu mainiossa seurassa, päivän viimeisessä nimenhuudossa käynti, kaupungilla hengailua ja Elitellä päivystämistä. Päivä huipentui nimmareiden saantiin Nilsiltä.

Launtai
Ensimmäinen keikkapäivä alkoi nimenhuudolla klo 10.00, minkä jälkeen suuntasimme eväsostoksille ja kokosimme majoituspaikasta kaikki loppupäivänä tarvittavat tavarat mukaamme. Seuraava nimenhuuto oli klo 12.30, minkä jälkeen jonottajat marssitettiin Ullevin kupeeseen odottamaan pittiin pääsyä. Loppusijoituspaikastamme kadun varrella vallitsi jonkinasteinen epäselvyys, joten epäröin aloittaa mitään suurempaa operaatiota, kuten ruokailua. Aurinko vuoroin kärvensi meitä, vuoroin piiloutui pilven taakse. Mukavaa jutunjuurta ja läpändeerosta riitti viiden hengen vahvuisessa THL-leirissämme koko iltapäivän.

Turvatarkastus tehtiin mielestäni huomattavan aikaisessa vaiheessa. Yllätyksekseni stadionin kupeeseen pystytetyn aidan takana ei ollut karsinoita, joten porukka tietysti päätyi alueelle melko epämääräisen näköiseen muodostelmaan.

Meitä viihdytettiin live-soundcheckillä, jossa kuultiin ainakin osia Racingistä, Lucky Town:sta, Better Days:ta ja LOHADista. Koko soundcheck meni itseltäni pitkälti ohi, koska en kiinnittänyt siihen kunnolla huomiota. En jotenkin oikein uskonut, että kyse oli aikuisten oikeasti live-soundcheckistä. Olisi pitänyt. Monet muut jonottajat sen sijaan puhkesivat estottomiin suosionosoituksiin useita kertoja tämän ohjelmanumeron aikana.

Lopulta saimme ranteisiimme hopeiset muovirannekkeet ja pääsimme pittiin samoihin aikoihin kuin ovet aukaistiin. Leiriydyimme Nilsin puoleisen lavaulokkeen kulman kohdalle toiseen riviin tutun kolmen hengen THL-seurueen taakse. Aurinko alkoi vähän ajan kuluttua porottaa paikallemme hieman liikaa. Niinpä varjostin päätäni pahvikyltilläni ja pelkäsin vasemman käsivarteni kärähtävän aurinkorasvasta huolimatta.

Heti pitistä paikat valittuamme kiinnitin huomiota siihen, että etuaidan ja lavan ulokkeen etureunan välillä oli aiempaa suurempi etäisyys. Emme siis yltäisi fyysiseen kontaktiin lavakarisman kanssa aiempien kiertueiden tapaan. Arvelin tämän johtuvan mahdollisesti koronasta ja kenties ennen kaikkea siitä, että Brucen kroppaa halutaan säästää yli-innokaiden pittiläisten kovakouraisilta otteilta (ehkä olen itsekin kerran syyllistynyt hieman liian napakkaan otteeseen Brucen vasemman pohkeen osalta).

Pitrush iski n. puolitoista tuntia ennen keikan ilmoitettua aloitusaikaa. Onneksi se ei ollut kovin raju (nopeampiakin ryntäyksiä on tullut koettua). Ennen keikan alkua stadionilla yritettiin viritellä aaltoa, mutta se ei oikein ottanut tuulta alleen.

Keikka alkoi lopulta jonkin verran yli klo 20 mukavasti Ties:illa. Lauloin kertosäkeessä antaumuksella mukana, tähän ei kyllästy koskaan! Olin itse asiassa hieman yllättynyt, että kyseinen biisi soitettiin. Se oli itselleni yksi keikan kohokohdista.

Muita suurimpia kohokohtia itselleni olivat Ties:in lisäksi Lucky Town, Mary's Place, Backstreets, Wrecking Ball ja LOHAD. Lucky Town:ia osasin soundcheckin perusteella odottaa, ja kyllä kelpasi! Näin siitäkin huolimatta, ettei Steven kitarasoolo mennyt ihan putkeen. Ihmettelin hieman siinä vaiheessa, mitä oikein tapahtuu. Yksittäiset mokat ovat hyvin inhimillisiä, eivätkä pilaa ainakaan omaa keikkakokemustani millään tasolla.

Mary's Place tuli minulle settilistapimennon ansiosta aikamoisena yllätyksenä. Ja mikä herkkupala se olikaan! Tässä vedossa oli paljon samaa fiilistä ja piirteitä kuin Live in Barcelona -taltioinnin versiossa, josta tykkään kuin hullu puurosta. Nyt kuulemamme veto oli paljon parempi kuin viime kiertueella omalle kohdalleni osunut. Lauloin taas kertosäkeessä mukana keuhkojen täydeltä.

Ja aina ihana Backstreets! Brucen tarina biisin keskellä tuli yllätyksenä ja toi vaihtelua aiemmin kuulemiini versioihin. Silmääni taisi mennä roska Brucen päästyä tarinan loppuun.

Myös Wrecking Ball oli itselleni jonkinasteinen yllätys. Olin toivonut pääseväni kuulemaan sen tälläkin kiertueella, mutta epäilin, että niin tuskin kävisi. Onneksi olin väärässä!

Myös No Surrender, She's the One, Bobby Jean, Dancing ja Tenth Ave kelpasivat erityisen hyvin. BiTUSA soi sellaisella jyrinällä, että olisin lentänyt selälleni, ellei takanani olisi ollut tukevaa ihmismuuria. Pari sisäelintä taisi kyllä vaihtaa paikkaa. Jumaleissön, mikä veto!

Kitty's Back:in intro pudotti alaleukani kirjaimellisesti pitin lattiaan. Biisi ei kuulu omiin suosikkeihin, mutta olin melkoisen äimänä koko vedosta. Vielä tässä vaiheessa luulin kyse olevan "Göteborg-extrasta".

Keikan päätösbiisin virkaa toimittaneen I'll See You in My Dreams:in aikana stadionin täytti upea valomeri. Tunnelma oli hieno, ja tuntui ikään kuin Bruce pitäisi koko yleisöä kämmenellään. Lähes maaginen hetki, vaikkei biisi olekaan suosikkejani.

Pakko nostaa esiin Brucen huikea falsetti varsinkin The River:in lopussa. En vain pääse yli siitä, miten hieno se on! En uskonut, että se kuulostaisi edelleen niin hyvältä.

Kiinnitin screenilta lähikuvia Brucen käsistä katsoessani huomiota siihen, että hänen kynsissään ja sormenpäissään oli aiemmasta poiketen pieniä nirhaumia ja muita vaurioita. Bruce on siis ilmeisesti vinguttanut kitaraa viime aikoina ihan urakalla. Ehkä hänen kitarasoolonsa olivat tosiaan nyt parempia kuin esim. viime kiertueella, kuten jotkut ovat tuoneet esiin.

Brucen ja yleisön välinen vuorovaikutus oli vähäisempää kuin aiemmilla kiertueilla. Tämä oli tavallaan sääli, muttei toisaalta juuri vaikuttanut keikkakokemukseeni.

Kaiken kaikkiaan hyvä keikka, joka tuntui paljon todellista lyhyemmältä (kuten Bruce-keikoilla on tapana). En huomannut, että Bruce olisi ollut alkoholin vaikutuksen alaisena, kuten jotkut ovat epäilleet. Kaikki biisit toimivat mielestäni erinomaisesti livenä, myös uudet kappaleet, vaikkeivät niistä settilistalle valitut olekaan erityisiä omia suosikkeja. Olisin nyt soitettujen uusien biisien sijaan paljon mieluummin kuullut LTY-levyltä esim. Rainmaker:in ja Priest:in. Tai melkein mitä tahansa Western Stars:ilta. Myös encoren saisi mieluusti laittaa uusiksi.

Keikan jälkeen oli kiire luovia ihmismassassa hakemaan numerot toiselle keikalle. Oikeaan kämmenselkääni piirrettiin lopulta 261.

Sunnuntai
Ensimmäisen välipäivän ohjelma sisälsi muun muassa nimenhuudoissa ramppaamista, tuttujen kanssa jutustelua ja tietenkin Elitellä päivystämistä. Bongasimme hotellilla autolla paikalle saapuneen Brucen ja pian sen jälkeen jälleen kävellen liikkeellä olleen Nilsin, joka jakoi nimmareita. Sain kiitettyä häntä edellisen illan keikasta. Myöhään illalla näimme vilaukselta vielä Garryn.

Maanantai
Toisena keikkapäivänä noudatettiin lauantailta tuttua aikataulua. Sääennuste lupasi iltapäiväksi ja illaksi apokalyptistä sadetta, joten aamun nimenhuudossa ennakoimme tulossa olevan kaikkien aikojen eeppisin Ullevin-keikka, jolla kuullaan mm. Who'll Stop the Rain ja Lost in the Flood. Mitään muuta vaihtoehtoa ei kertakaikkiaan ollut. Tämän voimalla kestäisin märät kengät ja vaikka kaiken mukanaan huuhtovan tulvan.

Vielä alkuiltapäivästä Ullevin kupeessa odotellessamme aurinko porotti melkoisesti. Hieman myöhemmin taivas kuitenkin pilvistyi enteillen luvattua sadetta. Ennen pitkää tuuli yltyi ja alkoi ulvoa pahaenteisesti. Vähän ajan kuluttua se onneksi hieman laantui juuri ennen sateen alkua. Kiskoimme sadeviitat yllemme ensimmäisten pisaroiden tippuessa taivaalta.

Soundcheck toteutettiin tällä kertaa ilmeisesti nauhalta soitetun ja live-osuuden yhdistelmänä. Live-osuudessa kuultiin Racing:ia ja Better Days:ia, ah! Nyt siirryimme kuuntelemaan tätä osuutta stadionin seinämän raosta, josta tirkistelimme samalla sisälle Ulleville. Lavalle ei valitettavasti nähnyt, koska kuuntelupaikkamme sijaitsi sen takakulman suunnassa. Tällä kertaa elämöin itsekin muun soundcheckiä fiilistelleen porukan mukana.

Soundcheckin päätyttyä kirkkaan pinkeillä rannekkeilla varustetut jonottajat päästettiin pittiin. Leiriydyimme eturiviin Nilsin puoleisen lavaulokkeen läheisyyteen. Totesimme etuaidan ritilän olevan hyödyllinen rakenne jalkojen alla, koska sen ansiosta meidän ei tarvinnut seistä vesilätäkössä. Sen sijaan sadevesi virtasi ritilän alla. Seisoa nökötimme kiinni etuaidassa reput selässä ja päät painuksissa sadeviittojemme huppujen alla.

Vettä satoi ja ukkonenkin hieman jyrähteli pari kertaa. Olosuhteista huolimatta aika kului yllättävän nopeasti, ja sadekin alkoi jonkin verran laantua. WC-reissulta palatessani sade oli lakannut kokonaan, ja hento auringon kajo ilmestyi taivaalle: ehkä sittenkin säästyisimme megalomaaniselta tulvalta - ja saisimme sitä myötä valitettavasti myös heittää hyvästit eeppistäkin eeppisemmälle keikalle.

Keikka alkoi jonkin verran myöhässä ilmeisesti suoraan edessämme olleen sivuscreenin teknisten ongelmien vuoksi. Kun keikka lopulta pääsi alkamaan, se polkaistiin käyntiin My Love Will Not Let You Down:illa, jota seurasi Death to My Hometown, molemmat pirteitä ja erinomaisia vetoja. Tässä vaiheessa uskoin, että settilista tulisi olemaan ainakin jokseenkin erilainen kuin ensimmäisellä keikalla. Valitettavasti se kuitenkin palasi pian samalle uralle kuin lauantai-iltana, mikä oli kieltämättä jonkinasteinen pettymys. Vaikka keikalla kuultiin liuta biisejä, jotka kuulen mieluusti livenä vaikka kuinka monta kertaa, ennalta-arvattavuus alkoi saada aikaan tunnetta yksitoikkoisuudesta. Se söi väistämättä keikkakokemusta, vaikka meno sinänä olikin hienoa. Odotin myös Brucen jollakin tavalla huomioivan sateessa odottamisen, edes pienellä maininnalla välispiikissä, turhaan.

Onneksi keikkaa ilmestyi pelastamaan Racing, joka on omalla listallani illan ehdoton kohokohta. Liekö edellisen keikan toivelappukampanja tehnyt tehtävänsä. Toinen yksittäinen kohokohta oli Brucen meidän lähellämme sijainneella lavakorokkeella soittama The Promised Land:n huuliharppusoolo. Jostakin syystä tykkään hirmuisesti kuunnella ja katsella Brucea soittamasssa huuliharppua, joten tämä hetki oli aivan erityisen mieluinen. Siitä olisi varmasti saanut hyvän valokuvan, mutta halusin vain keskittyä kaikilla aisteilla siihen, mitä tapahtui.

Katsomoiden yleisö oli nyt ehkä eläväisempää ja paremmin mukana kuin ensimmäisellä keikalla.

Keikan myötä menetin uskoni "Göteborg-extraan" myös kolmannen keikan osalta. Ajattelin silloin olevan luvassa "sama kuin edellä + Twist and Shout" -setti. Niinpä vakuutuin lopullisesti siitä, että oman keikkamäärän vähentäminen pelkkiin Ullevin-keikkoihin oli staattisten settilistojen vuoksi täysin oikea ratkaisu. Karsin keikkojen määrää alun perin nykyisen lipunmyyntipolitiikan vuoksi, mutta nyt tuli vahva tunne, etten jaksaisi enempää keikkoja lähes samalla settilistalla.

Keikan jälkeen ohjelmassa oli jälleen numeroiden haku seuraavalle keikalle. Vasempaan kämmenselkääni sutattiin tällä kertaa 380.

Tiistai
Toisen välipäivän ohjelma oli pitkälti sama kuin sunnuntaina. Kävimme ninenhuudoissa, lounastimme ja päivystimme Elitellä. Päivän kohokohta oli nimmarit ja yhteiskuva Maxin kanssa.

Keskiviikko
Kolmantena keikkapäivänä noudatettiin samaa aikataulua kuin lauantaina ja maanantaina. Aurinko porotti niin intensiivisesti, että saimme olla aiempaa pidempään Ullevin kupeessa aidan ulkopuolella. Käytin mieluusti tilaisuuden hyväkseni ja tapoin aikaa puiden varjossa vilvoittavassa tuulessa. Päädyin lopulta betoniporsaalle arpomaan, koska uskaltaisin avata salaattirasiani ja alkaa syödä lounaantapaista. Siirryimme aidan taakse käytännössä lähes olemattoman turvatarkastuksen kautta lopulta vasta n. klo 15. Aidan taakse siirryttyämme yritimme kököttää kapeassa varjokaistaleessa Ullevin seinän vieressä mahdollisimman pitkään. Nyt paikalle oli sentään asennettu vesipiste, jota ei edellisinä keikkapäivinä ollut.

Tälle kertaa meille ei tarjoiltu live-soundcheckiä. Jos se olisi tullut, olisin mennyt taas kuuntelemaan sitä stadionin seinämän raosta.

Pittiin päästyämme valitsimme paikat Steven puoleisen lavaulokkeen lähistöltä sivummalta etuaidalta. Otin nyt käyttöön kannettavan naulakkoni, eli ripustin reppuni S-koukulla etuaitaan, kätevää! Oli mukavaa istua varjossa aitaan nojaten. Aurinko korvensi siinä vaiheessa vielä Nilsin puolella.

Ympärillämme vaikutti olevan lähinnä ruotsalaisia. Yksi heistä kysyi mahdollisuudesta hankkia THL-kannatusjäsenpaitoja. Jouduimme valitettavasti myymään ei-oota. Kävimme vielä pitrushin jälkeen WC:ssä väkijoukon läpi pujotellen ja söimme pientä välipalaa ennen keikan alkua.

Keikka alkoi jälleen raikkaasti uudella aloitusbiisillä, joka oli Night. Varsinkin Matilda riehaantui siitä kunnolla. Hän oli juuri aiemmin toivonut, että kyseinen biisi soitettaisiin.

Lupaavan alun jälkeen settilista tuntui taas palaavan täysin samalle uralle kuin kahdella edelliselläkin keikalla, mikä oli kieltämättä hieman puuduttavaa. Onhan Bruce totuttanut meidät aiemmilla kiertueilla huomattavasti vaihtelevampiin settilistoihin. Prove It:n jälkeen kaavaan tuli kuin tulikin kovasti odotettu särö, kun ilmoille kajahti Darkness:n intro. Se sai aikaan sen luokan innostuksen, että äänijänteet joutuivat koetukselle. Kyseistä biisiä en ole todellakaan kuullut liian monta kertaa livenä, uuuh! Olinkin toivonut, että se soitettaisiin, mutten oikein jaksanut uskoa, että niin todella tapahtuisi.

Luulin "Göteborg-extran" jäävän Darknessiin, sillä sen jälkeen palattiin settilistassa vähäksi aikaa tutulle uralle. Kaikeksi hämmästyksekseni osoittautui, että olin väärässä: Nightshift:n jälkeen Ullevilla soi Trapped, joka sai meidät melkein ratkeamaan saumoistamme. Lauloin kertosäkeessä antaumuksella mukana, ah! Biisi tuli aivan totaalisen puskista! Sen myötä sain joksikin aikaa takaisin sen aiemmilta kiertueilta tutun tunteen siitä, että Bruce-keikalla voi tapahtua mitä tahansa. Se oli hienoa.

Trappedin jälkeen oli vuorossa lisää nannaa, kun saimme kuulla Johnny 99:n. Ihan parhautta! Eivätkä puskista tulleet biisit jääneet siihen. Itselleni illan suurin jymy-yllätys oli ehdottomasti seuraavaksi vuorossa ollut The E Street Shuffle, jota en ollut aiemmin kuullut livenä, ja jota en uskonut koskaan kuulevanikaan. En voinut uskoa korviani, kun biisin intro lähti soimaan. Onneksi pystyin riehaantuessani ottamaan tukea pitin etuaidasta. Huh huh!

Tämä edellä kuvattu biisiosio sekä Darkness kohottivat kolmannen keikan profiilia selvästi siitä, mitä se olisi ollut ilman näitä muutoksia. Vaativana asiakkaana en tietenkään olisi pannut pahakseni, jos settilistaa olisi muutettu enemmänkin.

Kaivattua vaihtelua keikkaan tarjosi sekin, että Bruce kävi poimimassa yleisöstä suurehkon stadionin hajottamiseen viittaavan pahvikyltin. Kuten olin odottanutkin, Twist and Shout kuultiin osana encorea. Keikka päättyi odotetusti akustiseen I'll See You In My Dreams -vetoon, jonka aikana Ullevin täytti jälleen upea valomeri. Tunnelma biisin aikana oli jälleen hieno. Ennen lavalta poistumistaan Bruce ilmoitti palaavansa bändin kanssa takaisin, mihin yleisö vastasi innostunein suosionosoituksin.

Keikan puolen välin tienoilla osoittautui, että yksi nestemäinen ateriankorvike lounaaksi ja toinen myöhemmin pitissä välipalaksi oli virhe. WC-hätä nimittäin yllätti ensimmäistä kertaa kesken keikan, voi saakeli! Because the Night:n tienoilla olin vakuuttunut, että minun olisi pakko käydä naistenhuoneessa, tai muuten en pystyisi keskittymään loppukeikkaan ollenkaan. Päätin kuitenkin sinnitellä paikallani, ja onneksi rakko kesti lopulta keikan päätymiseen asti yllättävän hyvin.

Siitä olin hieman yllättynyt, ettei Hungry Heartia soitettu yhdelläkään keikalla. Samoin siitä, ettei LOHADia soitettu kolmannella keikalla vastoin odotuksiani. Aivan erityisesti olisin halunnut kuulla Jungleland:in (niinhän me kaikki), mutta ymmärrän kyllä, että Brucen ääni tuskin enää venyy biisin kaikkiin osiin. En siis olisi yllättynyt, jos sitä ei enää soiteta livenä lainkaan.

Sen sijaan positiivista oli, että Waitin' On a Sunny Day lasten laulatuksineen loisti Ullevilla poissaolollaan. Sitä on kuultu menneinä vuosina jo aivan riittävästi.

Nightshift toimi livenä kuin hirvi, mutta ehkä kuitenkin olisin mieluummin kuullut sen tilalla jonkin Brucen oman biisin, ainakin kahdella keikalla.

Jokaisella Ullevin-keikalla musiikin volyymi tuntui fyysisesti todella vahvana värinänä ja jytkeenä rintaontelossa läpi koko keikan. Tällaista en ole aiemmilla kiertueilla kokenut. Tuntemus korostui tietysti varsinkin BiTUSA:n aikana, jolloin ainakin kolmannella keikalla huomasin monien ympärillämme pitävän sormia korvillaan. Omat korvani pärjäsivät tulppien ansiosta mainiosti.

Ankara settilistapimento ennen ensimmäistä omaa keikkaa oli tällä kertaa aivan erityisen onnistunut ratkaisu. Sen ansiosta sain nautta ensimmäisellä keikalla siitä tunteesta, etten tiennyt, mitä odottaa.

Nykyisen lippupolitiikan aiheuttama sapen kiehunta ei onneksi pilannut keikkakokemuksiani. Vain Badlands:n aikana mieleeni tuli ristiriita siitä, että Bruce esiintyy edelleen tavallisen ihmisen puolustajana, vaikka on todellisuudessa jotakin aivan muuta.

Pakko jälleen kerran todeta, että Bruce on kyllä ihme ukkeli pian 74-vuotiaaksi. Toki ikääntyminen näkyy viime kiertueeseen verrattuna, mutta hän pystyy näköjään edelleen erinäisiin suorituksiin paremmin kuin odotin, eikä karisma tietenkään ole kadonnut minnekään. Bändikin vaikuttaa olevan vireessä. Keikat tuntuivatkin todellista kestoaan lyhyemmiltä. Täytyy myöntää, että keikkojen pituus ja esiintyjien kunto hieman mietityttivät etukäteen, turhaan.

Yleisellä tasolla vaikutti siltä, ettei Bruce-pöhinä näkynyt kaupungilla yhtä paljon kuin kesällä 2016. Tuolloin Brucen musaa kuuli pitkin kaupunkia ja jokaisella lehtikioskilla lööpit olivat täynnä Bruce-otsikoita ja lehdet Bruce-juttuja. Elitellä päivysti toimittajia lähes aina silloin, kun mekin olimme siellä kytiksessä. Myös Ullevin kupeessa oli toimittaja haastattelemassa faneja ainakin yhtenä keikkapäivänä. Nyt tällaista ei ollut läheskään samassa määrin, mikä hieman kummastutti.

Osa minusta toivoi etukäteen, etten enää Göteborgin-reissun jälkeen kokisi tarvetta päästä Bruce-keikoille. Toive ei näytä valitettavasti toteutuneen, joten Brucen rikastuttamisesta pidättäytyminen ei tule olemaan ihan helppoa, jos / kun ensi vuodelle pamahtaa taas keikkoja Eurooppaan. Perhana.

Torstai
Torstaina oli aloitettava matka kohti kotia. Sitä ennen meillä oli onneksi hyvin aikaa odotella Elitellä Brucen ja bändin lähtöä, jonka näimmekin iltapäivällä muutaman tunnin passissa olon jälkeen. Ilmeisesti vain Patti jakoi muutaman nimmarin ja Bruce vilkutti auton astinlaudalta käsin kadun toiselle puolelle kerääntyneelle ihmisjoukolle, kaikki muut menivät hotellista suoraan autoihin. Tämä oli sääli, koska nimmari varsinkin Jakelta olisi kelvannut paremmin kuin hyvin. No, näissä hommissa ei voi aina voittaa.

Ennen lentokenttäbussille suuntaamista söimme vielä kenttälounaan nimenhuutopaikalla. Tunnelma oli haikea ja fiilis jotenkin kummallinen. Oli outoa nähdä paikka täysin tyhjänä, ilman jonottajia ja telttoja. Keikoista muistuttivat enää vain aitaan teipattu alueen kartta ja maassa lojuva rannekkeen palanen.
It's Bo... boycott time!
tillie
Lucky Man

Viesti Kirjoittaja tillie »

Kiitokset kivasti kirjoitetuista keikkamuisteloista Janey, Liisa S ja muut!

Oli huippua viimein itekin päästä paikan päälle kokemaan tätä Ullevin Bruce-tunnelmaa ja Göteborgia muutenkin. Yleisö ei varmaan ollut ehkä enää aivan takavuosien hurmoksessa, mutta hyvin auliisti tuntuivat silti lähtevän mukaan yhteislauleloihin aina kun vain tilaisuus tuli. Aivan erityisesti jäi mieleeni maanantain Riverin loppu, missä Bruce oikein yltyi porukkaa laulattamaan vielä oman falsetto-osuutensa peräänkin - aah! Ja sitten, miten liikuttavaa, kun kaikki lauloi yhdessä jokaisen keikan lopetukseksi Brucelle takaisin sen see you in my dreams!

Mä nautin kyllä näistä kaikista kolmesta keikasta - ei haitannu yhtään vaikka ylläreitä ei varsinaisesti tullutkaan. Tossa listassa pienine muutoksineen on kummiskin niin paljon hienoja biisejä ja kappaleyhdistelmiä tarinoineen, joita voi kyllä livenä kuunnella useammankin kerran ja Bruce ja bändi tuntuivat olevan oikein hyvällä tuulella sielä Göteborgissa muutenkin. Ja tulihan sieltä lopuksi tosiaan se we’ll be back! Saapa nähdä oliko tää tässä vai vieläkö nähdään? Joka tapauksessa aivan täydellinen viikon triplaputki oli tässä nyt, mistä voi pikku hiljaa alkaa palaileen arkeen hyvillä mielin!
"For the ones who had a notion -
A notion deep inside -
That it ain't no sin to be glad you're alive."
Philly
Downbound Train

Viesti Kirjoittaja Philly »

Satuin kuuntelemaan Göteborg 2 vähän tarkemmin, oli ilo bongata jonkun kitaristeista (Steven?) tapailevan Kitty's Backin outrossa Paint it Blackia. Vielä selvemmin kuuluu Göteborg 3.
Ei taida olla pelkkä Ruotsi-spesiaali mutta ei myöskään vakiokikka koko kiertueella
Vastaa Viestiin